Definition of Terms
- Welcome to the
Rosacea Support Resource Pages
These pages hold in-progress web pages for the benefit of Rosacea Support Group members. Information provided herein is intended for informational purposes only and is not intended to replace medical advice offered by a physician or qualified healthcare provider. Feedback welcome to email@example.com
Following is a list of terms often associated with rosacea, their definitions and, where possible, audio clips for pronunciation and example pictures:
- Angiogenesis: "The process of developing new blood vessels", as defined in MedicineNet.
- Edema: "An observable swelling from fluid accumulation in certain body tissues", as defined in MedicineNet.
- Erythema: "A redness of the skin resulting from inflammation, for example, as caused by sunburn", as defined in MedicineNet.
- Papule: "A skin lesion that is small, solid, and raised. The bump is smaller than 1 centimeter", as defined in MedlinePlus.
- Perioral dermatitis: "A skin disorder characterized by tiny red papules (bumps) around the mouth", as defined in MedlinePlus.
- Pustule: "Small, inflamed, pus-filled, blister-like lesions on the skin surface", as defined in MedlinePlus.
- Rhinophyma: "A large, bulb-shaped, red-colored (ruddy) nose", as defined in MedlinePlus.
- Rosacea: "A chronic skin condition involving inflammation of the cheeks, nose, chin, forehead, or eyelids. It may appear as redness, prominent spider-like blood vessels, swelling, or skin eruptions similar to acne", as defined in MedlinePlus.
- Pronunciation: Rosacea
- Picture: Rosacea Subtype 1 - Facial Redness (Erythematotelangiectatic Rosacea)
- Picture: Rosacea Subtype 2 - Bumps and Pimples (Papulopustular Rosacea)
- Picture: Rosacea Subtype 3 - Enlargement of the Nose (Phymatous Rosacea)
- Picture: Rosacea Subtype 4 - Eye Irritation (Ocular Rosacea)
- Seborrhoeic dermatitis: "A common, inflammatory skin condition that causes flaky, white to yellowish scales to form on oily areas such as the scalp or inside the ear. It can occur with or without reddened skin", as defined in MedlinePlus.
- Telangiectasias: "Abnormally dilated blood vessels associated with a number of diseases", as defined in MedlinePlus.